Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:30
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 17, 2021

After upgrading my SDL Trados 2019 to 2021, it turns out that it is possible to have both of them on your pc: after installing 2021, 2019 is not erased.
So far, so good.
It is not necessary to keep 2019 to have a working 2021. (It's something I've checked, because soemtimes and upgraded program doesn't work if you erase something from the previous version).
Questions: why would you keep 2019?
Is there something 2019 can do that 2021 can't?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:30
English to Russian
Nope Feb 17, 2021

I kept 2019 for a week while using the new 2021 version just to be on the safe side, but nothing happened that made me want to roll back. I just uninstalled 2019 a week after having installed 2021.
However, you can install 2019 again at any time, if need be, and use the same license to activate it.

Peter Motte

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

I kept 2019 for a week while using the new 2021 version just to be on the safe side, but nothing happened that made me want to roll back. I just uninstalled 2019 a week after having installed 2021.
However, you can install 2019 again at any time, if need be, and use the same license to activate it.

Thank you.
Now I can avoid some clutter on the desktop, the disc and in the registry.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
2019 Feb 18, 2021

I switched back to 2019 after I noticed Google Tranlate is not supported in 2021.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm very happy about that Feb 18, 2021

I'm very happ they don't support Google Translate.
Google is a potentional thief.
They could go and walk away with your translations and sell them without you getting any penny.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Not exactly Feb 18, 2021

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I switched back to 2019 after I noticed Google Tranlate is not supported in 2021.
You still can use GT. Just need to install a plugin for that.
See instructions here.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deleting T2019 not possible Feb 19, 2021

I first deleted MultiTerm 2019, which worked.
However, afterwards I wanted to uninstall Trados 2019, and that did not work.
It's still on the computer.
I also noticed that I don't have a licence for T2019, only for T2021.
I think it is because my T2021 is an upgrade from T2019 (SP2).
T2019 still works.

[Edited at 2021-02-19 14:45 GMT]

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wouldn't use GT Feb 19, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
Heinrich Pesch wrote:
See instructions here.

I'm quite satisfied that GT is not automatcially incorporated, because it can be a breach of the NDA.
Even if they say now that it is not, you don't have any guarantee that they won't change their ways in, say, 5 years time or so. Those companies have short memories when it comes to their promissses.
I wouldnt want to use GT and thereby run the risk of filling up their databases, so that they get it even easier to tell people that translations should be for free.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
1 lic for 2 versions Feb 19, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:
I also noticed that I don't have a license for T2019, only for T2021.
You can use the same license for both versions. That is why you have only 1 license in your account.
I don't know how it is possible that you uninstalled 2019 but it is still there... If your issue persists, you may want to post your question at SDL Community for licensing issues.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: GT plugin Feb 19, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:
Stepan Konev wrote:
Heinrich Pesch wrote:
See instructions here.
I'm quite satisfied that GT is not automatcially incorporated, because it can be a breach of the NDA.
Even if they say now that it is not, you don't have any guarantee that they won't change their ways in, say, 5 years time or so. Those companies have short memories when it comes to their promissses.
I wouldnt want to use GT and thereby run the risk of filling up their databases, so that they get it even easier to tell people that translations should be for free.
My response was rather for Heinrich Pesch

Peter Motte

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Onlyi MultiTerm 2019 was uninstalled Feb 19, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Peter Motte wrote:
I also noticed that I don't have a license for T2019, only for T2021.
You can use the same license for both versions. That is why you have only 1 license in your account.
I don't know how it is possible that you uninstalled 2019 but it is still there... If your issue persists, you may want to post your question at SDL Community for licensing issues.

I actually could only uninstall MultiTerm 2019. Trados 2019 is not possible.
I also noticed that the directory with the program files of 2019 is much bigger than the one for 2021.
T2021 is clearly and update to T2019, and uninstalling of T2019 is impossible (wizard tells you), probably to avoid you destroying your T2021.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: uninstallation issue Feb 19, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:
T2021 is clearly and update to T2019, and uninstalling of T2019 is impossible (wizard tells you), probably to avoid you destroying your T2021.
Well... I upgraded from T2019 to T2021 either but I can't remember that I experienced this issue. I think SDL Community is worth trying now.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
T2019 Feb 19, 2021

I went from Trados 2019 SP2 to T2021. That Service Pack 2 might play a role.
It's not actually an issue,though, rather a characteristic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2019 alongside 2021

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »