How to create a package from finalized source + target Word documents --- Trados 2019
Thread poster: Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Local time: 09:26
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 14, 2021

Hi there,

I have been working on a usual SDL Trados (2019) package for a few days. Once finished, and as usual, I exported the files (6 files) using "generate target translation" as well as "export for bilingual review". So I end up with 12 documents, 6 in Word format including only the translation, and 6 in Word format as well but containing the "bilingual review" layout that you probably know.

Then, because of some wrong move of my own (which I won't even be able to
... See more
Hi there,

I have been working on a usual SDL Trados (2019) package for a few days. Once finished, and as usual, I exported the files (6 files) using "generate target translation" as well as "export for bilingual review". So I end up with 12 documents, 6 in Word format including only the translation, and 6 in Word format as well but containing the "bilingual review" layout that you probably know.

Then, because of some wrong move of my own (which I won't even be able to explain!), my project was completely messed up on Trados, and I ended up with files on Trados that went from 100% translated to 2% Translated. Luckily, I still have the translated word files, but my employer would like to get a proper RETURN PACKAGE back from me, as you may guess.

Of course, I have been thinking about copying and pasting from my word document into the targets of each file, but given the volume, that is likely to take a lifetime... So my question is: How can I generate a Trados package from already translated documents? In other words, starting from finalized source and target documents, can I create a Trados Package, and if so, how?

Thank you so much for your help,

H.R
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:26
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No TM? Feb 14, 2021

Hugues Roumier wrote:
my project was completely messed up on Trados, and I ended up with files on Trados that went from 100% translated to 2% Translated.

I don't know whether it is possible to do what you ask - hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will be along soon - but did you have a TM? I can imagine you accidentally deleting target translations, etc. in Studio, but the TM should remain pretty much untouched. Then it would simply be a question of walking through the file and confirming segments once again.

I suspect you've already checked/tried this, but just in case...

Dan

Elena Feriani

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried already Feb 14, 2021

I'm not an expert neither, but yes I've tried the TM. Somehow, I think I kind of allowed older versions of my document to "overwrite" those which were 100% translated. But I can't figure why my TM doesn't just automatically do the job...

[Edited at 2021-02-14 07:55 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try creating the project again Feb 14, 2021

Hugues Roumier wrote:
Then, because of some wrong move of my own (which I won't even be able to explain!), my project was completely messed up on Trados, and I ended up with files on Trados that went from 100% translated to 2% Translated. Luckily, I still have the translated word files, but my employer would like to get a proper RETURN PACKAGE back from me, as you may guess.

I take it you have received a Studio package from your client. I hope you know where the TM is that is connected to the project. If so, the whole translation should be in the TM.

I would then:
- create a new project from the same package.
- replace the TM in this project with the TM in the corrupted project
- run a pretranslation of the new project.

That way you should get basically all segments as 100%, so you should not have to reconfirm each segment. It should not be necessary to copy from your Word files either.

This is what I would do in such an instance, so I hope it works in your case also.

Arkadiusz Jasiński
Kristina Wolf

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:26
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
With Roy, use the project TM or using align documents Feb 15, 2021

Make sure you locate the project TM of the package that you received and used, rather than any other general TM that you used in addition. That should hopefully do the trick.

The other option would be to align the already translated documents (with the align function) and create a new TM from that. Then run the package that you received from your client through that TM.

Hope this helps.

Kristina

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Hugues Roumier wrote:

I take it you have received a Studio package from your client. I hope you know where the TM is that is connected to the project. If so, the whole translation should be in the TM.

I would then:
- create a new project from the same package.
- replace the TM in this project with the TM in the corrupted project
- run a pretranslation of the new project.

That way you should get basically all segments as 100%, so you should not have to reconfirm each segment. It should not be necessary to copy from your Word files either.

This is what I would do in such an instance, so I hope it works in your case also.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a package from finalized source + target Word documents --- Trados 2019

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »