atlomni
atlomni
United States
Local time: 08:35
Member (2002)
English to Korean
+ ...
Apr 26, 2018

We have a Parser Rule issue that is getting very frustrating as I cannot find a fix for it and it impacts literally hundreds of files. So I really hope you can help!

In the XML files we are working on, we have some terms that are flagged as "Do Not Translate" and we created elements and a rule for them. The result after processing the files in Trados is that these "Do Not Translate" terms appear locked - which is great as it does not mess up with databasing too much in case we recei
... See more
We have a Parser Rule issue that is getting very frustrating as I cannot find a fix for it and it impacts literally hundreds of files. So I really hope you can help!

In the XML files we are working on, we have some terms that are flagged as "Do Not Translate" and we created elements and a rule for them. The result after processing the files in Trados is that these "Do Not Translate" terms appear locked - which is great as it does not mess up with databasing too much in case we receive an updated version in the future without these terms being flagged.

However, there is a big inconsistency in the way Trados processes this rule and it is causing a big issue: The "non-translatable" elements are only applied (and the element locked) if the element tag does not come immediately after its parent tag. Meaning that if it comes immediately after its parent tag, at the very beginning of a row, it just does not display at all in the Trados segments. Therefore, not only the translators do not have the complete sentence to work on, but the TM does not process it the right way either. Considering the volume and reps, it is just a snowball effect we really have to stop asap.

Example:

Parser Rule: xpath - //DoNotTranslate - not translatable - tag type:not specified - Whitespace:Inherit from Parent

Some Text more text even more text
^ ^
| |
Does not display in Trados segment at all Displays in Trados segment and is locked

We've searched and searched the reason why, the solution, tested different things, but nothing is working so far.

I really hope you can help! Thank you!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same XML elements handled differently in Trados 2017 within the same file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »