Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:37
French to English
Feb 21, 2018

Hello
Have just translated 50% of a job in Studio 2017, but when I tried to save kept getting an error message about path being non-existent. I closed the programme in the hope that this would resolve things, now the job seems to have disappeared completely. Not listed in Projects at all. Is there any way of rescuing this? I am a fairly new Trados user but didn't do anything different from what I usually do.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:37
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Just for rescuing the job Feb 21, 2018

Anne Greaves wrote:

Hello
Have just translated 50% of a job in Studio 2017, but when I tried to save kept getting an error message about path being non-existent. I closed the programme in the hope that this would resolve things, now the job seems to have disappeared completely. Not listed in Projects at all. Is there any way of rescuing this? Iec am a fairly new Trados user but didn't do anything different from what I usually do.

You must have somewhere a folder with the project, desktop or documents, also move on by checking the project in "all projects" after opening sdl.

I hope it helps.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
If all else fails... Feb 21, 2018

Hello Anne,

It's so frustrating when this happens and I believe it's a real issue, especially for relative newcomers, and one that I've mentioned time and time again at workshops, and in blog posts. The problem is that Trados often defaults to the previous project location when you set up a new project. It does give you the option to change location, but in such tiny font that it's very easy to overlook and suddenly not know where your project is filed. That doesn't explain why this
... See more
Hello Anne,

It's so frustrating when this happens and I believe it's a real issue, especially for relative newcomers, and one that I've mentioned time and time again at workshops, and in blog posts. The problem is that Trados often defaults to the previous project location when you set up a new project. It does give you the option to change location, but in such tiny font that it's very easy to overlook and suddenly not know where your project is filed. That doesn't explain why this one isn't on the projects list, of course, but it might be worth looking in the location of your previous project, just in case it's gone in there instead. If you click on Project settings for the previous project in your list, it will show you the location of that one, so you can check.

If no joy, you could always set up the project again, making sure to use the same TM(s) and the work you have done will at least already be in the memory and should quickly pre-translate and leave you back where you were.

Good luck!

Claire
Collapse

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2018

Have tried re-importing the package but unfortunately nothing is coming up in the memory at all.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Oh no! Feb 21, 2018

How very strange! I assume you had the Update box ticked next to your RM in the project settings and that you were confirming each segment as you translated (by pressing Crtl Enter). You can always change them later, but at least if they are confirmed, they will be in the memory for just such an eventuality, power cuts, or if a file becomes corrupted for whatever reason, as happened to me in the middle of a 16,000-word file recently. I had to set the project up again and everything just slotted ... See more
How very strange! I assume you had the Update box ticked next to your RM in the project settings and that you were confirming each segment as you translated (by pressing Crtl Enter). You can always change them later, but at least if they are confirmed, they will be in the memory for just such an eventuality, power cuts, or if a file becomes corrupted for whatever reason, as happened to me in the middle of a 16,000-word file recently. I had to set the project up again and everything just slotted neatly back into place - phew! I can't understand why that isn't happening for you if you have followed the above steps. I don't know what else to suggest, I'm afraid. Have you tried the SDL Community or the FB group for Trados & Studio Support?Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Search entire computer for *.sdlxliff Feb 21, 2018

Search your entire hard drive (including Documents, Desktop, Downloads, etc.)for "*.sdlxliff" (minus the quotation marks, of course). When you import a project, all it does is automatically create a normal project folder setup, just as if you were doing it yourself manually. One of the files returned has to be the one you were working one before it "disappeared". You can then either replace the version in the reimported folder structure under EN-GB (or whatever the target folder is) or continue ... See more
Search your entire hard drive (including Documents, Desktop, Downloads, etc.)for "*.sdlxliff" (minus the quotation marks, of course). When you import a project, all it does is automatically create a normal project folder setup, just as if you were doing it yourself manually. One of the files returned has to be the one you were working one before it "disappeared". You can then either replace the version in the reimported folder structure under EN-GB (or whatever the target folder is) or continue working directly in the found file and explain to your client that you had trouble creating the return package and just to use the Studio file.Collapse

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Feb 21, 2018

Not found file yet, but just realised it's an idml file, don't know if that makes any difference.

Mike Roebuck
Mike Roebuck  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
idml file Feb 21, 2018

Trados will handle an idml file without any problems (that I've experienced so far), but it will still create an sdlxliff file when you import it and start to translate it, so this must be on your system somewhere, unless you've inadvertently managed to delete the whole thing.

Search your hard drive for the sdlxliff file, as someone has already suggested. It should be there, somewhere.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job has disappeared.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »