Why does Trados not reproduce correct font from source into target?
Thread poster: Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 10:22
French to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2017

Hello,

I'm not sure there's a solution for this -- maybe it is simply a gripe and something that could be fixed in future versions?

I use Trados Studio 2014 and a fairly frequent source of frustration is that, in a document that uses different fonts and font colors, Trados will not recognize them correctly. It may perfectly produce the target text from the TM, but it's in the wrong color, or font style, or both, so I have to erase it and write it over. I usually end up
... See more
Hello,

I'm not sure there's a solution for this -- maybe it is simply a gripe and something that could be fixed in future versions?

I use Trados Studio 2014 and a fairly frequent source of frustration is that, in a document that uses different fonts and font colors, Trados will not recognize them correctly. It may perfectly produce the target text from the TM, but it's in the wrong color, or font style, or both, so I have to erase it and write it over. I usually end up copying the source to target in order to get the right font in the target column and then type in the correct translation myself. Similarly, if something is in all-caps, Trados does not recognize this, and I have to type the target text over with caps lock on.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a way to easily copy over the correct formatting from the source to the target? Or is this just a fact of life to deal with?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Kate
Collapse

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 15:22
English to German
Formatting tags? Jul 8, 2017

Hi Kate,

Have you set formatting tags to be hidden by any chance? Not sure why Studio would classify fonts and font colours tags as "commonly recognized tags", but hey...

See here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/Tags/About_Showing_Hiding_Formatting_Tags.htm and
... See more
Hi Kate,

Have you set formatting tags to be hidden by any chance? Not sure why Studio would classify fonts and font colours tags as "commonly recognized tags", but hey...

See here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/Tags/About_Showing_Hiding_Formatting_Tags.htm and here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Editor.htm#Tag_display_options_in_Options_dialog_box

Hope that helps!
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:22
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Are the errors in the exported file too? Jul 8, 2017

Not recognizing the ALLCAPS, and then telling me that something I have to retype completely is allegedly a 99% match is understandably annoying.
As for the fonts and colors, have you confirmed that the wrong attributes are actually transferred into the exported file as well?

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure if formatting tags are hidden... Jul 8, 2017

Hi Nina,

Thanks for your comment! I don't think formatting tags are hidden, but I'm not sure how to verify this...do you know how I can do so?

Thanks,
Kate

Nina Esser wrote:

Hi Kate,

See here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/Tags/About_Showing_Hiding_Formatting_Tags.htm and here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Editor.htm#Tag_display_options_in_Options_dialog_box

Hope that helps!

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong attributes are in exported file as well Jul 8, 2017

Hi,

Thanks for your comment! Yes, I just checked, and when exporting the file the incorrect font shows up. Very frustrating!

Kate

LEXpert wrote:

Not recognizing the ALLCAPS, and then telling me that something I have to retype completely is allegedly a 99% match is understandably annoying.
As for the fonts and colors, have you confirmed that the wrong attributes are actually transferred into the exported file as well?

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 15:22
English to German
Formatting tags Jul 9, 2017

Hi Kate,

When you've got a document open in Editor, go to Tools > Options and select Editor from the navigation tree. There's a drop-down list about formatting tags there. You might want to select to show ALL formatting tags and see if that helps. Basically the problematic segments would then have more tags (for fonts and font colours).

I just remembered that in Studio 2014 there might even be an icon for this (at the top right?). I'm still using 2009 at home, so can't
... See more
Hi Kate,

When you've got a document open in Editor, go to Tools > Options and select Editor from the navigation tree. There's a drop-down list about formatting tags there. You might want to select to show ALL formatting tags and see if that helps. Basically the problematic segments would then have more tags (for fonts and font colours).

I just remembered that in Studio 2014 there might even be an icon for this (at the top right?). I'm still using 2009 at home, so can't check.

Fingers crossed!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:22
English to Russian
Capslock solution Jul 11, 2017

You don't need to re-type a hit to make it all capitalized. Just select the text and press Shift+F3.
In most other cases, you can select a translated word(s), then press and hold Ctrl and click on the source word having the desired format, red ink for example. The selected target word will turn red.
Sometimes, when source word is a placeble (or whatever they call words with blue underline), this clicking method does not work. It inserts the placeable instead of copying its fotmat, wh
... See more
You don't need to re-type a hit to make it all capitalized. Just select the text and press Shift+F3.
In most other cases, you can select a translated word(s), then press and hold Ctrl and click on the source word having the desired format, red ink for example. The selected target word will turn red.
Sometimes, when source word is a placeble (or whatever they call words with blue underline), this clicking method does not work. It inserts the placeable instead of copying its fotmat, which is annoying indeed. That's why "in most other cases", but not "always".

[Edited at 2017-07-11 10:15 GMT]
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a solution, but... Feb 15, 2021

LEXpert wrote:

This is not a solution and Trados should fix its bugs. But you can select the text you want in ALL CAPS, then press F12 and you can toggle between font sizes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does Trados not reproduce correct font from source into target?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »