Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:22
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I like it too Nov 12, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Too bad if you weren't there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjN5uHRIcjM

No, I wasn't, but I like the sixties too.
Don't worry!

Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Stolen saying Nov 12, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

A real travel guide from our forum tripeira, too. But there are nabos everywhere, Exy, believe me, I know. I know one of them very well indeed. I heard the same thing about Israel, that Jerusalem prays, Haifa works, and Tel Aviv plays. I was in all three, and from what I saw it was quite true. I only saw Haifa briefly, but there did seem to be a lot of construction work going on. Plus a lot of destruction work going on in the country, too, lots of bulldozers rumbling around ...

I think Israelis stole that saying from Portuguese.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Remembering the 60s Nov 12, 2020

Not that I can, I hasten to add. Another person who couldn't remember them, but for entirely different reasons, namely humongous substance abuse, was Dennis Hopper, who famously said "Anyone who says they remember the 60s wasn't really there, man."

And, since Not-quite-Cockney Chris must be busy elsewhere or at least seems not to have noticed, I'll jump in playfully to ask Tom whether being from The Who's generation "explains why you are as you are"....
See more
Not that I can, I hasten to add. Another person who couldn't remember them, but for entirely different reasons, namely humongous substance abuse, was Dennis Hopper, who famously said "Anyone who says they remember the 60s wasn't really there, man."

And, since Not-quite-Cockney Chris must be busy elsewhere or at least seems not to have noticed, I'll jump in playfully to ask Tom whether being from The Who's generation "explains why you are as you are".

And there's good old Keith Moon, or rather a very young Keith Moon, on Tom's video thrashing away at them drums, only, what?, 21 or 22 years old, who probably wouldn't have remembered the 60s either, if only he'd lived a little longer. As it was, he probably didn't remember much from one day to the next in his heyday. When he wasn't smashing up his drum kit or smashing up hotels, he was driving Rolls-Royces into swimming pools. And later on, the almost mandatory overdose after a pleasant dinner with Paul and Linda McCartney. Ah, the essence of rock and roll. It also makes one of the lines in that very song so very poignant - "hope I die before I get old" (dead at 32).

Think about that Rolls-Royce roaring into the pool. I mean, wouldn't you just love to?

[Edited at 2020-11-12 12:28 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Questions, questions, questions Nov 12, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

I was conceived in the summer of 69

That explains why you are as you are.

I’ve literally spent all day with my legs crossed desperately trying to hold it in and disappoint you by not responding, Tom, but finally my resolve is cracking and the dam could burst at any time now, so here you go, just as you wanted:

1. How am I?
2. How does it explain it?

But also:

3. Was I actually?

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
How absolutely ridiculous! Nov 12, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

This week, one of my posts was deleted because one of the reasons was the implied political content (Carnation Revolution, in 1974).

[/quote]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sexual politics Nov 12, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
This week, one of my posts was deleted because one of the reasons was the implied political content (Carnation Revolution, in 1974).

Are you sure it wasn't the jokes about cunn.... and blo...?

So what's it like having your birthday on Christmas Day?*

*Other religious and non-religious feasts also available

[Edited at 2020-11-12 15:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-12 15:17 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe they mistook it for "incarnation" Nov 12, 2020

Rachel Fell wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

[/quote]

and thought is was something religious.

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In Summer Nov 12, 2020

Chris S wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't the jokes about cunn.... and blo...?

So what's it like having your birthday on Christmas Day?*

*Other religious and non-religious feasts also available

[Edited at 2020-11-12 15:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-12 15:17 GMT]

Yes, precisely, including those ones, but I have received rule 1 "warning":
"Postings which are political, religious, or otherwise controversial in nature, or that may be considered offensive by other users..."
I was born in Summer

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Otherwise controversial Nov 13, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

"Postings which are political, religious, or otherwise controversial in nature, or that may be considered offensive by other users..."
I was born in Summer

This is their generic explanation, but I'm pretty sure the reason was the content of your very funny Portuguese jokes, which you nonetheless had managed to tell with panache and elegance.
It's not that we started to discuss about the tricks & tips and the how-to, is it? We all know too well that that kind of talk belongs to the Technical Forums section. No faux-pas here.

Summer, on the other hand ... I find it highly controversial. While I do appreciate the longer evenings and the overall mellow vibe, I can't stand the heat and the humidity, and September always comes as a welcome relief.

Sandra, are you a Cancerian, by any chance? Maybe it's better if you don't disclose your birthdate publicly, since I have mixed feelings about midsummer. I could ask the mods to send you a stern warning.

[Edited at 2020-11-13 07:54 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mercury rose above 100 degrees Nov 13, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I was born in Summer

This is their generic explanation, but I'm pretty sure the reason was the content of your very funny Portuguese jokes, which you nonetheless had managed to tell with panache and elegance.
It's not that we started to discuss about the tricks & tips and the how-to, is it? We all know too well that that kind of talk belongs to the Technical Forums section. No faux-pas here.

Summer, on the other hand ... I find it highly controversial. While I do appreciate the longer evenings and the overall mellow vibe, I can't stand the heat and the humidity, and September always comes as a welcome relief.

Sandra, are you a Cancerian, by any chance? Maybe it's better if you don't disclose your birthdate publicly, since I have mixed feelings about midsummer. I could ask the mods to send you a stern warning.

[Edited at 2020-11-13 07:54 GMT]

Mainly it was the sexual content implied in the jokes, you're right.
No, I am not, Persio. I'm a Virgoan. Mercury is Virgo's ruling planet, known for being fast, talkative and funny.
The day I posted my jokes, Mercury rose above 100 degrees

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Astrology Nov 13, 2020

It’s a load of bollocks isn’t it?

Or is it?

My mother, first love and wife were all born under the same sign.

Tempting as it is to recycle a joke and say it was a sign saying “Keep clear if you value your sanity”, I do actually mean star sign.

Can it really be just a coincidence?

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Dogs and bones Nov 13, 2020

Warning: silliness level 5/5; it’s Friday afternoon.

To return to Chris’s dog’s bone, we shouldn’t overlook the German group Boney Dog and their albums such as:

Take the Dog off Me
Dog for Sale
Nightflight to Pluto
Oceans of Bones
Ten Thousand Bones
Dog Dance

Some of their notable hits were:

Doggy Cool
Oh My Dog

In 1988 they were dogged by quarrels. The group was almost disbanded when on
... See more
Warning: silliness level 5/5; it’s Friday afternoon.

To return to Chris’s dog’s bone, we shouldn’t overlook the German group Boney Dog and their albums such as:

Take the Dog off Me
Dog for Sale
Nightflight to Pluto
Oceans of Bones
Ten Thousand Bones
Dog Dance

Some of their notable hits were:

Doggy Cool
Oh My Dog

In 1988 they were dogged by quarrels. The group was almost disbanded when one of the members suddenly shouted ‘doggone it’ during a concert in the middle of ‘Oh My Dog’.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Rachel Fell
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Nope Nov 13, 2020

Chris S wrote:

expressisverbis

Rachel Fell
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hmm Nov 13, 2020

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Rachel Fell wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

and thought is was something religious. [/quote]
Yes, never let simple facts get in the way of misinterpretation or misunderstanding!

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm amazed Nov 13, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Or is it?

My mother, first love and wife were all born under the same sign.

Tempting as it is to recycle a joke and say it was a sign saying “Keep clear if you value your sanity”, I do actually mean star sign.

Can it really be just a coincidence?

It can be, yes... but people show great interest in horoscopes.
I don't know if it's just one more coincidence to add, because I read somewhere you call affectionately your mother: "SS".
I'm "SS"... no, not the Schutzstaffel (SS) that we know.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »