Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
It all depends Oct 26, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Why is it acceptable, both on this site and in real life, to air offensive views but not to use offensive language?

Why are four-letter words not also covered by freedom of speech?

It all depends on what kind of language you find offensive. I find bad grammar offensive. In fact I find it f****** offensive.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good point! Oct 26, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Why is it acceptable, both on this site and in real life, to air offensive views but not to use offensive language?

Why are four-letter words not also covered by freedom of speech?

Using offensive language both on virtual or real life only alter our behaviour and it harm us badly.
We lose respect for ourselves if we go in that direction. We can be absolutely right about something but when we use bad language, we lose that.
In a private setting, when we are alone, I believe it is healthy to have our "Tourette moments" and say a few swear words.
In my humble opinion, offensive language in Romance languages are quite insulting, and I don't like to pronounce it or hear it.

Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
When in Florence.... Oct 27, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

In my humble opinion, offensive language in Romance languages are quite insulting, and I don't like to pronounce it or hear it.

In that case you'd better never go to Florence or have a conversation with anyone from Florence. As any Italian from anywhere else will tell you, the Florentines are famous for their constant swearing, obscenity, and sacrilegious language, often made at the tops of their voices, e.g. shouting at someone in the street. In Florence, this is considered normal everyday conversation. I could give some examples here but I would probably be banned. Is "Madonna Puttana" acceptable?

[Edited at 2020-10-27 10:08 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Well not in whole Italy Oct 27, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

In that case you'd better never go to Florence or have a conversation with anyone from Florence. As any Italian from anywhere else will tell you, the Florentines are famous for their constant swearing, obscenity, and sacrilegious language, often made at the tops of their voices, e.g. shouting at someone in the street. In Florence, this is considered normal everyday conversation. I could give some examples here but I would probably be banned. Is "Madonna Puttana" acceptable?

[Edited at 2020-10-27 10:08 GMT]

And I can assure you that a similar sentence is used in Spain. (with madre instead of madonna).

Also, shouting at someone in the street is not yet so generalized, even in Florence. May I ask when you were in Italy? Many things changed in the last years.

I am Italian

expressisverbis
Wolfgang Schoene

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Problem is Oct 27, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

That I am under the impression that what is offensive for us (mediterranean people, you and me for example) is not offensive for British or in the sense of UK (just as an example). We have different views, but this is just my opinion.

@Tom, please forgive my possible mistakes if they offend you,

[Edited at 2020-10-27 17:16 GMT]

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My views Oct 27, 2020

Tom:
In case you don't know it, I am familiar with Italian language.
Not only because I studied it for a few months (unfortunately, I gave up), but also because I learned Latin, and I did Classical Studies.
So, I am used to the swearing, obscenity, and sacrilegious language, in particular, in Plautus.
Also, my native language also has several words with a similar sound and spelling as Italian.
Yes, when the pandemic ends, I will go to Florence and have a conversat
... See more
Tom:
In case you don't know it, I am familiar with Italian language.
Not only because I studied it for a few months (unfortunately, I gave up), but also because I learned Latin, and I did Classical Studies.
So, I am used to the swearing, obscenity, and sacrilegious language, in particular, in Plautus.
Also, my native language also has several words with a similar sound and spelling as Italian.
Yes, when the pandemic ends, I will go to Florence and have a conversation with Italians using an offensive language that we will all understand... c******! (Meaning also "Carago", a less offensive interjection in Portuguese, with the equivalent in Italian starting also by a "C", I believe).

Angie:
The same in Portugal, but we don't use the usual "p*** madre" Spanish expression, we swear at her daughter and son, and I don't dare to write it here
Romance languages have a high number of swear words (at least in European Portuguese), and we use to shout them loud, too.
For these reasons, I believe many of us consider it quite offensive.
Forgive both me for my written examples of swear words.
(It doesn't hurt us badly when written, right?)

I think this new topic will be quite inspiring...

[Edited at 2020-10-27 12:58 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Also in Italy Oct 27, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Angie:
The same in Portugal, but we don't use the usual "p*** madre" Spanish expression, we swear at her daughter and son, and I don't dare to write it here
Romance languages have a high number of swear words (at least in European Portuguese), and we use to shout them loud, too.
For these reasons, I believe many of us consider it quite offensive.
Forgive both me for my written examples of swear words.
(It doesn't hurt us badly when written, right?)

I think this new topic will be quite inspiring...

[Edited at 2020-10-27 12:58 GMT]

her daugther or son are preferred

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I was wondering ... Nov 2, 2020

... whether anyone knows if you can still get Aero bars in the UK? It would help me plan a visit.

P.L.F. Persio

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
See here Nov 2, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... whether anyone knows if you can still get Aero bars in the UK? It would help me plan a visit.

I forget to look when shopping, as I don't tend to buy things like that, but perhaps this link may help:

https://www.aerochocolate.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBG5EbPT7w-aCEWC_8jrrE-t0-vM5Tm5bjZNF_2ht72bGWdPntXMmERoCZwQQAvD_BwE#

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That seems to clinch it Nov 2, 2020

Thanks, Rachel. It looks like I won't run short.

P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Coffee Nov 2, 2020

I think I also need some chocolate to sweeten my day.
After what I read in a few threads today, the Coronavirus news, and my Mcafee installation is not working because some "nabo" from Fnac forgot to activate my card... I'm not sure if a bar of chocolate is enough.
I will make a coffee instead to continue bitter the rest of the day.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wagon Wheels Nov 2, 2020

There's been a change of criteria about our trip to the UK, and now I'm being asked if they still sell Wagon Wheels over there. Now, don't you bother this time, Rachel, you've done enough.

Surely there must be someone out there ...?

expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Tycho Brahe day Nov 2, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I think I also need some chocolate to sweeten my day.
After what I read in a few threads today, the Coronavirus news, and my Mcafee installation is not working because some "nabo" from Fnac forgot to activate my card... I'm not sure if a bar of chocolate is enough.
I will make a coffee instead to continue bitter the rest of the day.

That's called a tychobrahesdag (Tycho Brahe day) in Danish. Tycho Brahe was a Danish astronomer, but this expression has no logical connection to his work.

Try some soothing music, for example Why Worry by Dire Straits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEIZcokwxfQ
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/direstraits/whyworry.html

Or something silly, such as Rowan Atkinson interviewing Elton John – or should that have been John Elton?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl0HqlbX7dc

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Coffee Nov 2, 2020

I'm sure your good self can act as a natural sweetener for that coffee, Exy.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thomas and Mervyn Nov 2, 2020

Thomas, many thanks!
I like Dire Straits! Beautiful song!!! You're right, I shouldn't worry about these things.
And Rowan Atkinson is the second comedian I like, the first one is Benny Hill.
Mervyn it's very kind of you, but I needed a double shot of sweets today in my coffee:
... See more
Thomas, many thanks!
I like Dire Straits! Beautiful song!!! You're right, I shouldn't worry about these things.
And Rowan Atkinson is the second comedian I like, the first one is Benny Hill.
Mervyn it's very kind of you, but I needed a double shot of sweets today in my coffee:
Some "Miel":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVavPbpejXw&list=RD6o4NgSu5WvE&index=27
And a "Chocolat":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLYBYq0ql6k&list=RD6o4NgSu5WvE&index=2

Lyrics:
https://genius.com/Lartiste-miel-lyrics
https://paroles2chansons.lemonde.fr/paroles-lartiste/paroles-chocolat.html

(Thomas, do you understand French? I like to post things in English that everyone understands... By the way "ser um nabo" means "to be a blockhead". I used the word "nabo" and I haven't explained it. I'm sorry about this.)
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »