Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Australia
Local time: 03:48
German to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2009

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a new laptop and - after downgrading from Vista to XP - installed my SDL Trados package again (am currently using 2007 v. 8.2.0.835).
Everything seemed to go all right for once, but - no! - of course there had to be a problem:
Synergy would not install. Error message:
"You must install the Microsoft .net Framework version 2 or higher before installing this product"
Well, I just spent an unreasonable amount of time togethe
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a new laptop and - after downgrading from Vista to XP - installed my SDL Trados package again (am currently using 2007 v. 8.2.0.835).
Everything seemed to go all right for once, but - no! - of course there had to be a problem:
"You must install the Microsoft .net Framework version 2 or higher before installing this product"
Well, I just spent an unreasonable amount of time together with my IT guy, trying to fix this. Matter of fact, the latest .net framework versions and SPs (3.5) were installed on my machine. We went back and un- and reinstalled (along the way running the risk of crashing everything). All to no avail.
The above error message keeps appearing.
I noticed that some of you out there have faced similar problems in the past. Any suggestions how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
For once I wished installing SDL Trados would go without any hick-ups. Just the once...

Regards and good night,
Petra
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
French to Polish
+ ...
A standard Synergy setup routine bullshit... Mar 6, 2009

DPS wrote:

I have just purchased a new laptop and - after downgrading from Vista to XP -

A good idea...

installed my SDL Trados package again (am currently using 2007 v. 8.2.0.835). Everything seemed to go all right for once, but - no! - of course there had to be a problem:

In this case, I repeat some SDL devlopers are so stupid they're unable to count up to three
Probably they check the highest .Net level is equal to 2 instead of equal of higher and an incorrect message is dsplayed because they don't foresee it's some progress at MS too...

PS.
I saw this error in the plain vanilla SDLT 2007 but I was persuaded it was corrected...

Well, I just spent an unreasonable amount of time together with my IT guy, trying to fix this. Matter of fact, the latest .net framework versions and SPs (3.5) were installed on my machine.

And this is a problem...

We went back and un- and reinstalled (along the way running the risk of crashing everything). All to no avail.
The above error message keeps appearing.
I noticed that some of you out there have faced similar problems in the past.

As the SDL setup routines are rather messy and behave incorrectly of your system is fully patched, you should "imitate" the moment when their software was published.
Then install the software, run it all at least once and patch your system.

Any suggestions how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
For once I wished installing SDL Trados would go without any hick-ups.

LOL.

Just the once...

LOL.

Probably, you'll be forced to reinstall from scratch.
Of course, you may try to unistall the .Net patches but it's not always successfull.
Refuse all the automated .Net patches by MS.
Install your Trados stuff.
Run it all at least once.
Patch .Nets.
And restarts as often as possible, of course...

But first of all, try to force a manual .Net 2.0 installation.
The file is provided with Trados setup.
If it works, you have a chance (I suppose the install will fail but I never tested it, I prefer to follow my own scenario above)

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-06 15:13 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Mar 6, 2009

Hello Petra,

I would recommend uninstalling your current .NET versions and then reinstalling SDL Trados 2007 (including service pack 2) which all will install the preferred .NET version for Synergy.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
2. Please uninstall SDL Trados 2007, Synergy and SDLX (if installed)
3. Please remove all versions of Microsoft .NET Framework
4. Download and run the .NET F
... See more
Hello Petra,

I would recommend uninstalling your current .NET versions and then reinstalling SDL Trados 2007 (including service pack 2) which all will install the preferred .NET version for Synergy.

4. Download and run the .NET Framework cleanup tool from the following website:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx

5. Restart your computer
6. Please reinstall SDL Trados 2007 (including service pack 2)

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why does it have to be like this every time? Mar 7, 2009

Hi Gareth,

I have had a lot of hardware problems this past year and therefore had to reinstall SDL Trados 2007 several times. Just imagine the fun of trying to get your license reissued after your HD has crashed for the third time, you do not have a support contract, there is no way to directly contact SDL... It took me up to a week to get hold of someone at SDL!
And every time I reinstalled there were technical problems: .net, c++, what have you not ... All related to SDL Tra
... See more
Hi Gareth,

I have had a lot of hardware problems this past year and therefore had to reinstall SDL Trados 2007 several times. Just imagine the fun of trying to get your license reissued after your HD has crashed for the third time, you do not have a support contract, there is no way to directly contact SDL... It took me up to a week to get hold of someone at SDL!
And every time I reinstalled there were technical problems: .net, c++, what have you not ... All related to SDL Trados hick-ups.

I suppose I have no choice left, as my IT guy was unable to fix the problem. He does this for a living and is good at what he does. And he was indeed actually rather incredulous that this was happening.
It seems to me that indeed the problem lies with SDL. A solution of this problem would be appreciated. Quickly. I will purchase a new PC in a few months' time and do not particularly appreciate the thought of having to face the same or similar problems again!
And judging from Grzegorz' posting I am not the only one struggling with this issue (sorry, Grzegorz!).

And: From a user's point of view it would be appreciated if the option of having the software on CD-ROM with dongle were available again. It would save many of us a lot of time and stress in trying (usually in vain) to contact SDL to have our licenses reissued after hardware problems...

Because I am telling you: your licensing system is part of the problem, as it causes unnecessary stress to the (honest!) user.

Will let you know if wasting me weekend on uninstalling and reinstalling - again! - will solve the problem!

Thanks, Petra
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Dongles... Mar 8, 2009

DPS wrote:

And: From a user's point of view it would be appreciated if the option of having the software on CD-ROM with dongle were available again. It would save many of us a lot of time and stress in trying (usually in vain) to contact SDL to have our licenses reissued after hardware problems...[/quote]

I would gladly pay a reasonable additional fee to have dongles back...

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Red-hot iron... Mar 8, 2009

DPS wrote:

And judging from Grzegorz' posting I am not the only one struggling with this issue (sorry, Grzegorz!).[/quote]
I often localize .Net.
As I install all the available .Nets on my machines, I tested thoroughly the Trados setup routines 'cause in my case. it simply doesn't work by default.
In fact, if you make work Trados in these conditions in one shot, it's a miracle.
I always had problems.
A year ago, I tested it on a virtual machine and after approx. 30 intents, I managed to create a reliable scenario but it makes almost two days for me (I use the MUI wersions of Windows XP and Office...).
I swear, my scenario is crazy.
So I started to deploy Trados using disk images, if possible.

This kind of problems is getting general.
Recently, I started to charge friendly translation offices for a correct Trados setup...

I blame the SDL guys and I hope they'll receive a red-hot iron into their secret parts.

Cheers
GG

Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Share your frustration... Mar 9, 2009

Hi Grzegorz,

I share your frustration.
It is such expensive - and for essential! - software that one would expect it to install and work without any hick-ups.
As I had always had major problems installing (and often running) SDL Trados in the past, I decided to involve an IT professional this time. Admittedely, he does not have any experience with this particular programme, but he is skilled and experienced enough to recognise the flaws.
What bothers me most of al
... See more
Hi Grzegorz,

It is such expensive - and for essential! - software that one would expect it to install and work without any hick-ups.
As I had always had major problems installing (and often running) SDL Trados in the past, I decided to involve an IT professional this time. Admittedely, he does not have any experience with this particular programme, but he is skilled and experienced enough to recognise the flaws.
What bothers me most of all is the amount of time (and now money) I have wasted (and in all likelihood will continue to waste) on this...

P.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
How to install Trados 2007 in 23 easy steps :) Mar 9, 2009

DPS wrote:

If I'm really furious is because I have a comparison.
In the Autodesk branch I work for as consultant, the software is compiled and installed automatically every day on approx. 100 different machines with different software configuration, then automated reliability tests are performed.
So it works out of the box.
Basically, they have no installation issues.

The major difference in the approach is engineers are presumed exacting and translators are considered idiots, so they may accept every crap.
In fact, they accept.

What bothers me most of all is the amount of time (and now money) I have wasted (and in all likelihood will continue to waste) on this...

See below my scenario for XP.

A general rule is to refuse ALL automated .Net patches and installs before you finish the corresponding Trados installation.
For .Net 1.1 and 2.0, use only the files provided with Trados.
The same for Java.
Restart as often as possible and make attention no unwanted update is instaled automatically .
After avery stage, make a disk image if possible.

1) Install Windows and Office and patch'em (if you must use .Net 1.0, install it and patch at this stage).
2) Install Multiterm 7.1.361 (provided with Trados 2006)
3) Install Trados 2006
4) Check MT-Workbench communication (if it doesn't work, don't worry yet).
5) Make run all the Trados/Multiterm application at least once
5) Install Trados 2006 cumulative patch
6) Check MT-Workbench communication (for me, CP2 solves magically the MT-WB problems).
7) Make run all the Trados/Multiterm application at least once
8) Patch .Net 1.1 (only 1.1)
9) Install MT 2007 provided with the initial version of Trados 2007 (it will prompt to ininstall the previous MT).
10) Install Trados 2007 8.0.0.822 or 826
11) Check MT-Workbench communication
12) Make run all the Trados/Multiterm application at least once
13) Apply Trados 2007 SP2
14) Apply MT 2007 SP1
15) Check MT-Workbench communication
16) Make run all the Trados/Multiterm application at least once
17) Patch the .Net 2.0 (only 2.0)
18) Patch Trados to 2007 Suite (if available)
19) Check MT-Workbench communication
20) Make run all the Trados/Multiterm application at least once
21) Install all the remaining software you need.
22) Install and patch all further .Nets.
23) If you want to install the newest Java, take in account the latest Java versions must be tweaked a little bit (the dtailed description is available on http://talisma.sdl.com)

Quite evident, isn't it?

PS.
Recently, after XP SP3 I manage to install Trados 2007 without the 2006 version, so you may try to skip it.
Probably my procedure is too complex but I prefer extensive test to Multiterm not working...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-09 12:09 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support... Mar 9, 2009

Hello Petra,

I apologise for any inconveniences caused. However, I would like confirm that you are entitled to free installation and licensing support. Also, you can use the same activation code twice so I recommend that if your computer crashes in the future then you try the same activation code again to see if you still have one activation available on that code.

The reason we allow a second activation on one code is because we understand that most customers like to u
... See more
Hello Petra,

I apologise for any inconveniences caused. However, I would like confirm that you are entitled to free installation and licensing support. Also, you can use the same activation code twice so I recommend that if your computer crashes in the future then you try the same activation code again to see if you still have one activation available on that code.

The reason we allow a second activation on one code is because we understand that most customers like to use SDL Trados on a PC at home and a Laptop on the move. So if you are only licensing one computer then you should still have one activation left.

If you do not have an activation left on that code then please visit our solution finder and follow the Licensing Problems steps. If your issue is not resolved online then you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as possible.

To visit the solution finder please follow these instructions:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login with your username and password

3. Go to "My Support"

4. Select "Licensing and Installation Help"

5. Read the instructions and then select the "Solution finder direct link"

6. Select the "Licensing Problems" link in the left hand navigation pane

7. Answer the questions accordingly

Again, you will be given a support form to fill out if you don't find a solution.

I also recommend you use the Solution Finder for your installation problems with Synergy. Please choose the "Download and Installation Problems" link and then follow the steps provided. Once your case is logged then one of our support members will contact you and begin a remote desktop session so we can take a look at the problem directly.

I will also keep an eye open for your case so we can deal with with this problem as soon as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just more problems... Mar 13, 2009

Hi Gareth,

I appreciate your feedback, but I have been done, done that...

Sadly, I do not use SDL TRados installation as a way to while away my time in the absence of anything else to do. I purchased the programme to facilitate my work. My IT support and I have spent such a lot of time on this, with the result that - at least for the time being - I have decided to just make do without Synergy to be able to focus on my actual work again.

But no, there are ne
... See more
Hi Gareth,

I appreciate your feedback, but I have been done, done that...

Sadly, I do not use SDL TRados installation as a way to while away my time in the absence of anything else to do. I purchased the programme to facilitate my work. My IT support and I have spent such a lot of time on this, with the result that - at least for the time being - I have decided to just make do without Synergy to be able to focus on my actual work again.

But no, there are new problems: now I keep on getting error message '32' (cannot acces file bla bla). I found s.o. else's forum post and tried the half dozen solutions suggested in reply. It helped with some files, with others it didn't.

I am surprised that I encountered this error, as the above thread is several months old and I downloaded the latest patches only a few days ago. SDL still have not fixed the problem???
This is not good, Gareth, not good at all.

Regards, Petra
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Forget about Synergy Mar 13, 2009

Hi Petra,
all I can suggest is to forget about Synergy. In my experience it causes you more headaches than good. Moreover, it will fill your harddrive with dozens of unnecessary files. In other words, you will lose control over your TMs and Termbases. I like these to be client-specific, while Synergy uses the project-specific approach which may be good for large-scale projects but not for a number of short translations going for one and the same client.

Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
Synergy deinstallation etc. Oct 7, 2009

Hello!
My sympathy to all that suffer from IT developers and corporate license mongers not having common sense.

I reinstalled Trados without Synergy becasue nobody asked for it. And of course, not customers begin sending med Synergy-packaged material.
After being forced to deinstall 2007 to install 2009, I chose to reinstall everything e x c e p t Synergy. I am still at my first install session this time. The Trados installation program only acknowledges that Synergy is
... See more
Hello!
My sympathy to all that suffer from IT developers and corporate license mongers not having common sense.

I reinstalled Trados without Synergy becasue nobody asked for it. And of course, not customers begin sending med Synergy-packaged material.
After being forced to deinstall 2007 to install 2009, I chose to reinstall everything e x c e p t Synergy. I am still at my first install session this time. The Trados installation program only acknowledges that Synergy is missing. Not .NET 2.0. Amazing...great development work!
Collapse

tagore
tagore  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:48
English to Romanian
How to manually remove and then reinstall the .NET Framework 2.0 Oct 28, 2009

Hello Petra,

I experienced the same problem and finally - for me - the solution was :
1) uninstallation of NET Framework 2.0. as per
- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077
2) installation of Synergy + NET Framework 2.0. using TRADOS files pack (i.e., the SDL Trados Synergy 2007/synergy.exe - without any separate download/installation of NET Framework 2.0).
... See more
Hello Petra,

I experienced the same problem and finally - for me - the solution was :
1) uninstallation of NET Framework 2.0. as per
- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077
2) installation of Synergy + NET Framework 2.0. using TRADOS files pack (i.e., the SDL Trados Synergy 2007/synergy.exe - without any separate download/installation of NET Framework 2.0).

Best regards,
tagore
Collapse

Robin Schnoeckelborg
Robin Schnoeckelborg  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:48
Japanese to German
+ ...
Good advice Dec 21, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Petra,

4. Download and run the .NET Framework cleanup tool from the following website:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx

5. Restart your computer
6. Please reinstall SDL Trados 2007 (including service pack 2)

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

I did step 3. - 6. only and it worked for me. Thanks.

Nguyen Dieu
Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 23:48
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Net Framework installation Dec 22, 2009

I used to have problem with Net Framework when installing Trados Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009. After many failures and formatting Laptop at least 4 times per day (I contact SDL for help but no respond so far) I figure out the solution:

Remove all Net Framework versions
Remove all Trados applications

Install Net Framework Redistributable 1.0
Install Net Framework Redistributable 2.0
Install Net Framework Redistributable 3.0
Install Net Framework
... See more
I used to have problem with Net Framework when installing Trados Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009. After many failures and formatting Laptop at least 4 times per day (I contact SDL for help but no respond so far) I figure out the solution:

Remove all Net Framework versions
Remove all Trados applications

Install Net Framework Redistributable 1.0
Install Net Framework Redistributable 2.0
Install Net Framework Redistributable 3.0
Install Net Framework 3.5 SP 1

Then install Trados applications.

Without Net Framework 1.0; 2.0 and 3.0, I could not install Version 3.5 ( a must for Trados 2009).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot install Synergy: .net framework problem

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »