Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Fresh new scam - Loredana Maxen (bhtranslationworld.com - reincarnation of Languagemet)
Thread poster: Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 13:57
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2016

Just received:
Pepsi - Delivery - Romanian - PO: Tera-417
From Loredana Maxen [email protected] details
To undisclosed-recipients:;
Good day ,

Small job.

We want you to check if the text matches the audio. To access the audio click on the link below.

Do not make any changes on the txt. If there are any discrepancies, just note them on a separa
... See more
Just received:
Good day ,

Small job.

We want you to check if the text matches the audio. To access the audio click on the link below.

Do not make any changes on the txt. If there are any discrepancies, just note them on a separate sheet indicating where.

Once done, just send back your comment. It should not take you more than an hour for this. Will pay hourly.

Delivery Monday if possible. Otherwise Tuesday will be fine.

Please confirm.

--
Kind Regards,
Loredana Maxen

Chief Executive Officer

If you Google the name, plenty of posts about this scam

Stay safe
lee
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:57
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Well Jun 25, 2016

Undisclosed recipients is reason enough for me to send the email to file 13...scam or not.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too much information in the initial email... Jun 25, 2016

... is another clue this is a scam. Real clients are generally not as efficient and rarely is all the information you need available in the first email. Of course, real customers are usually more concerned with getting what they need (a translation) than in the payment details.

Potential customers usual write something like:

"Dear Mr. xxx

We have a Spanish project that we need help with. Please contact us at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss.

Regards,... See more
... is another clue this is a scam. Real clients are generally not as efficient and rarely is all the information you need available in the first email. Of course, real customers are usually more concerned with getting what they need (a translation) than in the payment details.

Potential customers usual write something like:

"Dear Mr. xxx

We have a Spanish project that we need help with. Please contact us at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss.

Regards,
xxxxx"

or

"Dear Mrs. xxxx

We found your profile online. We need to have a German legal document translated. How much would it cost?

Thanks,
xxxxx"

but very rarely:

"Dear So and So,

Our company represents law firms in the country of xxx,xxx. We have a French contract that we need to have translated into English. The contract is 25 pages and contains around 15,000 words. How much do you charge per target word? We are willing to pay a rush rate of 50% to get this project completed this week. Once you've confirmed the job, we will send you a check within two days. This check will bear the name of our affiliate office in New York. Unfortunately, this is the only way we can pay you at this time because we are currently relocating our accounting division, but in the future we will be installing a bank transfer system that will deliver payments to you promptly, probably paying any balance owed to you within three business days. We look forward to collaborating with you as we expect to have many large projects of this type in the future and we want to find a reliable translator like you because of this large volume (>150,000 words a month). Can you be available on short notice for such big projects? If this job goes well, we would also be willing to recommend your services to the firms we work with all across the globe. Please respond with your willingness to accept this first project, so that I can get your check prepared and processed. We will be including an extra amount in this check in order to cover any bank or currency exchange fees you may incur.

Thanks,
xxxx"

[Edited at 2016-06-25 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same Loredana Maxen, with variation ... Jul 17, 2016

​Dear Professional Translators,

We are currently looking to expand our translators team (due to increasing translation request volumes).

Approved translators will be selected based on the rate offered and the requirement based on our need for addition of resources to language pairs. If approved, you will be informed soon. Work offered however will be prioritized to existing translators first and may start gradually.

If you are interested in collaboration,
... See more
​Dear Professional Translators,

We are currently looking to expand our translators team (due to increasing translation request volumes).

Approved translators will be selected based on the rate offered and the requirement based on our need for addition of resources to language pairs. If approved, you will be informed soon. Work offered however will be prioritized to existing translators first and may start gradually.

If you are interested in collaboration, please, get back to me at your earliest convenience.

My questions are As follow:

1) what is your standard rate for your language pair?

2) What is your specializations fields ?

3) what is your mother tongue ?

6) Which CAT tools you used?

Finally, please send me your updated CV and cover letter as attachment.

Thanks and We are looking forward to a fruitful cooperation with you​

--

Kind Regards,
Loredana Maxen

Chief Executive Officer
Email: [email protected]
Collapse

Maximo Wilhelm Muñoz
Maximo Wilhelm Muñoz
Guatemala
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reply to her offer... Aug 12, 2016

liviu roth wrote:

Just received:
Good day ,

Small job.

Do not make any changes on the txt. If there are any discrepancies, just note them on a separate sheet indicating where.

Once done, just send back your comment. It should not take you more than an hour for this. Will pay hourly.

Delivery Monday if possible. Otherwise Tuesday will be fine.

Please confirm.

--
Kind Regards,
Loredana Maxen

Chief Executive Officer

If you Google the name, plenty of posts about this scam

Stay safe
lee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Loredana Maxen:
I´m hoping the present finds you well.

37, 324 source text words at a pay rate of USD $. 0. 03 per each source text word would be a total of USD $. 1,179. 72 dollars. They are about 143 pages or about 37, 324 source text words within all documents.

I can have it delivered on either Thursday, August 18th, 2016 or Friday, August 19th, 2016 (7-8 days of labor). I can only work with a 50 % advance payment, if you would like me to work on your project. If you opt-out for not payint a 50 % advance payment, I will contact your end client so they know that you practice scams. That´s the reason for the 50 % advance payment request.

When are you planning to pay for the labor? Can you pay through International Wire Transfer? Please let me know. By attachments I´m amending additional information of the way that I work these sorts of documents.

Respectfully,

Máximo F. Wilhelm Muñoz, Esq.
Bachelor in Foreign Trade, [Certified] Legal & Technical Translator.
Total Translation LINK
Calle Principal 0-87 Zona 2,
Local Exterior de Ladrillo,
Panajachel, Sololá, Guatemala.
Mobile #: 011(502)5666-3557(WhatsApp)/5541-0352.
e-mail: [email protected] Skype: maximo.f.wilhelm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 4:31 AM
Subject: PLEASE

Hello,

With top notch quality translation and proofread services as it’s a new client and we need to provide best results.

Rate:0.03 USD

Deadline:13 days

Job is 28530 INL

We can provide you with the purchase order before proceeding. Payments are done after 30 days of project deliverance as per the finance terms.

Please confirm your availability asap so that I can share the documents.

--

Kind Regards,

Loredana Maxen

Chief Executive Officer

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
engaging the scammer Aug 12, 2016

Maximo,

The basic rule is to avoid engaging the scammer. After a while, she may reply that she agrees to your terms, send you a check, ask you to deposit it and send her back the money overpaid. (old over-payment scam). Unless you want her to play by your rules, and have her waste time and money (postal stamp) to send you a fake check, it is safer if you do not answer to these scammers.

Colleen Roach, PhD

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Actually Aug 12, 2016

this scam is not "fresh new" but rather "good old" as this is just another reincarnation of Languagemet.

Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:57
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Scam... Aug 12, 2016

I ski not understand how this scam works.

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:57
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
check their website Aug 15, 2016

at www.bhtranslationworld.com - it is quite well-done

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:57
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
What the...?? Aug 15, 2016

MariusV wrote:

at www.bhtranslationworld.com - it is quite well-done

A very simple website made in 3 minutes.
Does this person really think that professional translators would fall for this?

Chinatsu AYRES
Chinatsu AYRES
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Japanese Mar 18, 2017

Do you have EN > JP patent translation experience plz.?

--
Kind Regards,
Loredana Maxen
Chief Executive Officer

connecting people across language and culture

+++++

Just received the above message from one Loredana Maxen.

Sandra Dedeyne
Sandra Dedeyne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Dutch
+ ...
Waste of time Apr 10, 2017

I've got numerous emails from this scammer. Just this morning, I've got another email asking me to discuss rates (for the 10th time)! I've only clocked on recently, when I kept on getting work requests, keeping time in my schedule, and then not get an answer back! Don't fall for this!

Unfortunately, I'm quite the gullible person, so this scammer had me for a couple a weeks...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This Loredana is the Chief Executive Officer? Apr 11, 2017

I just cannot understand how people can fall for this kind of thing. The illiterate, impersonal e-mails, the business of the overpayment by cheque that has been around for so long now it has gout and a faint smell of wee ... and the idea that a CEO would be sitting there at a computer farming out the actual translations is simply ridiculous. CEOs work twenty or thirty levels above that. This is the same as the letters from Princess Precious Ougamu III writing to tell me about the millions of USD... See more
I just cannot understand how people can fall for this kind of thing. The illiterate, impersonal e-mails, the business of the overpayment by cheque that has been around for so long now it has gout and a faint smell of wee ... and the idea that a CEO would be sitting there at a computer farming out the actual translations is simply ridiculous. CEOs work twenty or thirty levels above that. This is the same as the letters from Princess Precious Ougamu III writing to tell me about the millions of USD her uncle stashed away in Namibia before he was tragically killed in a plane crash (photo of plane crash - any old plane crash - attached). I don't know why we need the warnings, even. Why doesn't common sense kick in?

[Edited at 2017-04-11 11:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-11 11:24 GMT]
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:57
German to English
+ ...
Albert Einstein said Apr 11, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I just cannot understand how people can fall for this kind of thing. The illiterate, impersonal e-mails, the business of the overpayment by cheque that has been around for so long now it has gout and a faint smell of wee ... and the idea that a CEO would be sitting there at a computer farming out the actual translations is simply ridiculous. CEOs work twenty or thirty levels above that. This is the same as the letters from Princess Precious Ougamu III writing to tell me about the millions of USD her uncle stashed away in Namibia before he was tragically killed in a plane crash (photo of plane crash - any old plane crash - attached). I don't know why we need the warnings, even. Why doesn't common sense kick in?

[Edited at 2017-04-11 11:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-11 11:24 GMT]

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Maximo Wilhelm Muñoz
Maximo Wilhelm Muñoz
Guatemala
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you very much for the useful info. Sep 28, 2017

liviu roth wrote:

Maximo,

The basic rule is to avoid engaging the scammer. After a while, she may reply that she agrees to your terms, send you a check, ask you to deposit it and send her back the money overpaid. (old over-payment scam). Unless you want her to play by your rules, and have her waste time and money (postal stamp) to send you a fake check, it is safer if you do not answer to these scammers.

--
Thank you very much for the useful info.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fresh new scam - Loredana Maxen (bhtranslationworld.com - reincarnation of Languagemet)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »