Local time: 00:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Most people's books Aug 23, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:
Susanne Artelt wrote:
So there is no chance to handle XLIFF files with Trados 2006 then...?

It is not entirely true... You can translate those files (as it is just XML), but the file has to be prepared earlier, as I have described above.

I think in most people's books a program is considered unable to handle a file format if the file needs to be pre-prepared in some other program or using fancy find/replace in a text editor (it gets awfully close to "hacking").

By that reasoning, OmegaT can do Trados unclean files (and I've done it, so yes, it is possible) and even TagEditor files, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple PERL program... Aug 23, 2007

I have written a simple PERL program to propagate source segments to target segments. As I said, I do not know the XLIFF structure enough to be sure it will work in all cases. Besides it is my third program in PERL, so it might not work at all It does work, though, on those sample files I had...

The program is here:

Code:<... See more
I have written a simple PERL program to propagate source segments to target segments. As I said, I do not know the XLIFF structure enough to be sure it will work in all cases. Besides it is my third program in PERL, so it might not work at all It does work, though, on those sample files I had...

The program is here:

Code:

# Handle number of parameters
if ($#ARGV < 1) {
print "Usage: propagate.pl infilename.xlf outfilename.xlf";
}
else
{
# Handle files
open (INFILE, @ARGV[0]) or die "Cant open @ARGV[0]";
open (OUTFILE, ">@ARGV[1]" ) or die "Cant open @ARGV[1]";

#Grab lines
while (<INFILE> ) {
# If it contains source
if (/\<source\>/) {
$source = $_;
# Grab until end of source
until ($source =~ /\<\/source\>/) {
$source .= <INFILE>;
}
# Print out source
print OUTFILE $source;

#Replace tags
$source =~ s/<source>/<target>/;
$source =~ s/<\/source>/<\/target>/;

#Print out target
print OUTFILE $source;
}
else
#Print out lines without source
{
print OUTFILE $_;
}
}
print "Conversion successful";
}

To use this program, you have to copy the code above and save it, e.g. as propagate.pl.

If you do not have a working PERL environment, you can get it here (install according to instructions, make sure that the option to associate pl files is selected):

http://www.activestate.com/Products/activeperl/

When it's done (or if you already have PERL on your machine), go to command prompt and type in:

propagate.pl infilename.xlf outfilename.xlf

It should get the file specified as the infilename (if it is not in the same directory, make sure you provide the full path) convert it and save it as outfilename. If it does not (or if it eats your dog) I cannot be held responsible...

Note: if someone reading this is more versed in PERL and spots some areas to improve, I will be happy to hear it...

I've just noticed that in spite of the code tag the code might be messed up, therefore I have uploaded the file here:

http://www.manutekstura.com/propagate.pl

[Edited at 2007-08-23 08:54]
Collapse

Susanne Artelt
Susanne Artelt
Germany
German to English
XLIFFConvert unlicensed! Aug 23, 2007

@ Sam:
Sorry, I thought this was just a mistake (the wrong URL)

@ All:

I learned from Trados Support that XLIFFConvert is unlicensend, i.e. if you just download the Trados 2007 trial, you may use it for other, lower versions, too.

So one would not need to upgrade from 2006 to 2007 just to be able to handle XLIFF-files properly in TagEditor.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-23 12:48]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Open Language Tools Aug 23, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:
- Open Language Tools - Xliff Editor - I have installed it and played with it a bit, but not much...

I've just tried it, and here's the report. I tried to open XLF files created by appTranslator and Cafetran. Both resulted in an error message about the XLF file being unwellformed. It seems therefore that you can only open XLF files in OLT that were created in OLT... and I'm not even sure if that is possible, because I can't test the hypothesis.

PS. My two test XLF files opened beautifully in both Heartsome and Transolution.

[Edited at 2007-08-23 15:59]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sisulizer Aug 23, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Sisulizer claims XLIFF support, but I can't figure out how to export to it -- the only export options available, even in the most expensive version, is TMX, Text and Excel.

I figured it out. Sisulizer can't create XLIFF files. You can translated existing XLIFF files in Sisulizer, but only... only XLIFF files created by Macromedia's flash creator.

What's more, Macromedia doesn't import XLIFF files correctly -- it imports the text instead of the text (but Sisulizer knows this, and makes the necessary changes to the XLIFF file exported from Macromedia).

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
English to Spanish
OLT XLIFF Editor Aug 31, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
I've just tried it, and here's the report. I tried to open XLF files created by appTranslator and Cafetran. Both resulted in an error message about the XLF file being unwellformed. It seems therefore that you can only open XLF files in OLT that were created in OLT... and I'm not even sure if that is possible, because I can't test the hypothesis.

Hi,

Your files are probably XLIFF 1.1 files. The OLT XLIFF editor only supports XLIFF 1.0 and reports XLIFF 1.1 and 1.2 as wrong.

XLIFF 1.1 was released in 2003 and XLIFF 1.2 was released this year. Version 1.0 could be considered obsolete now.

Regards,
Rodolfo

BrightonR
BrightonR
United States
XLIFF translation editor Sep 14, 2016

I know this is an old post but people still use XLIFF a lot these days to translate iOS apps.
So if anyone is still looking for a good translation software that supports XLIFF files, check out the online localization tool POEditor ( https://poeditor.com ). It says .po editor, yes, but it actually supports a lot of file formats used for localization (.strings, .xml, .properties etc.).
One can store up t
... See more
I know this is an old post but people still use XLIFF a lot these days to translate iOS apps.
So if anyone is still looking for a good translation software that supports XLIFF files, check out the online localization tool POEditor ( https://poeditor.com ). It says .po editor, yes, but it actually supports a lot of file formats used for localization (.strings, .xml, .properties etc.).
One can store up to 1000 strings in their account for free, then it requires a subscription.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which programs support XLIFF?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search