Localisation with non-experts: Poedit? Pitfalls?
Thread poster: TechStyle
TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:35
Sep 4, 2015

I was asked recently about translating some of my company's software (currently English only) into other languages, so I'm hoping this will be a good place to get information.

We have native speakers of each of the target languages (Arabic, Croatian, Greek and Italian) more or less in-house, with experience in the field in question, so they should know all the relevant terminology in both that language and English. So, the actual language side should be quite simple: they are all fl
... See more
I was asked recently about translating some of my company's software (currently English only) into other languages, so I'm hoping this will be a good place to get information.

We have native speakers of each of the target languages (Arabic, Croatian, Greek and Italian) more or less in-house, with experience in the field in question, so they should know all the relevant terminology in both that language and English. So, the actual language side should be quite simple: they are all fluently bilingual, though not professional translators.

I see the Basic version of Poedit is free and cross-platform, which seems like a good start - how easy and robust is it to use, and what's the learning curve like for new users? Could you give your bilingual but non-computer-expert granny a .pot file and a copy of Poedit and expect a working .po file from it, or would she struggle? Is there a better tool for the job, or perhaps a system better than gettext's .po files?

(One pitfall that just came to mind is the keyboard: I have an Italian layout keyboard, but I'm not sure if we have an Arabic one handy. I can probably get hold of one easily enough, but what else might I need to check out?)
Collapse

Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Poland
Local time: 13:35
English to Polish
+ ...
More than translation Sep 4, 2015

As someone who's worked in the software localization field I'd like to point out that translation forms only a part of the whole localization process. Depending on the type of software you also have to localize the units, the number, currency and date formats, user guides / manuals, make sure all the graphics / symbols / legal info etc. is appropriate for the target geography, plan for possible string length changes, prepare test scripts, and then compile and test the localized versions. If your... See more
As someone who's worked in the software localization field I'd like to point out that translation forms only a part of the whole localization process. Depending on the type of software you also have to localize the units, the number, currency and date formats, user guides / manuals, make sure all the graphics / symbols / legal info etc. is appropriate for the target geography, plan for possible string length changes, prepare test scripts, and then compile and test the localized versions. If your company has no localization expertize, I would advise to outsource it to an LSP and provide them with the translation, thus saving on the overall cost (just make sure you extract and translate all the localizable content).Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localisation with non-experts: Poedit? Pitfalls?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »