不審な要求、そして未払い
Thread poster: north
north
north
Local time: 23:38
English to Japanese
Jun 18, 2017

4/27/2017

・・・法律の規定では、翻訳者は出版物に署名する権利を持っています。私たちの( )は書籍を出版する際、書籍にご署名していただけないでしょか。もし宜しいであれば、(my name here) の身分証明資料(運転免許証あるいは国民保険証など)をご提供いただけないでしょうか。スキャンの上、メールでご返送くださいますようお願い申し上げます

納品時期に上記のようなメールがきて、あまりに異様な要求なので、署名無用と答えて、断りました。納品後、まだ入金がないうちに次の仕事の打診がありましたが、署名の件があったうえ、むやみにペーパーワークが増えて面倒なので断ったところ、一ヶ月たっても入金がありません。以前に仕事をしたときは一週間程度で入金があったのです。このクライアント、今も翻訳者やチェッカーを募集しているようですが。

[Edited at 2017-06-18 14:43 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:38
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Signature itself, or name? Jun 18, 2017

north wrote:
署名無用と答えて、断りました

Your post isn't very clear. So this client is specifically requesting that your signature, not just your name, be disclosed in the publication? Is that it?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
契約にて決まった支払条件 Jun 18, 2017

支払いは何日として決まっていますか。未払いに関して連絡しましたか。Blue Boardで情報ありますか。

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Circumstances unclear Jun 18, 2017

What country is this outsourcer located? Was their request written in Japanese just like you wrote, or was it in English and you paraphrased it in Japanese? If the original request was in English, could you provide that instead?
Because from what you wrote, it looks like you have the right but not the obligation to have your name published, so you were right to refuse it. However, talking about "signature" (署名) still strange in this context.
Demanding signatures and also copies o
... See more
What country is this outsourcer located? Was their request written in Japanese just like you wrote, or was it in English and you paraphrased it in Japanese? If the original request was in English, could you provide that instead?
Because from what you wrote, it looks like you have the right but not the obligation to have your name published, so you were right to refuse it. However, talking about "signature" (署名) still strange in this context.
Demanding signatures and also copies of personal ID documents could be a sign of attempted identity theft.
You should be careful. (You were, actually, so that is good.)
If they are not keeping the agreed payment terms, you should contact them and demand payment and also enter a comment on the Blue Board.

[Edited at 2017-06-18 17:39 GMT]
Collapse

north
north
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Those documents can be used to bad purposes Jun 18, 2017

Their organization is located in the US, they have an address in Japan, too. They write in Japanese. I am pasting their comment.
Do you give your personal details, the very documents your city office issued to you that could be used to access your bank accounts, your health insurance or your certificate of residence? Those important information that could be used for impersonation? Those documents are that significant and to add my signature to them? Why do they need them?
Their exp
... See more
Their organization is located in the US, they have an address in Japan, too. They write in Japanese. I am pasting their comment.
Do you give your personal details, the very documents your city office issued to you that could be used to access your bank accounts, your health insurance or your certificate of residence? Those important information that could be used for impersonation? Those documents are that significant and to add my signature to them? Why do they need them?
Their explanation:
私たちの (organization) は現在版権を持っておりますが、 数名の訳者にご協力いただける上で翻訳仕事を仕上げています。部分訳ですが、著者だけでなく、読者に対しても、敬意や責任感を持って書籍を出版させて頂きますので、各翻訳者に対して、書籍に署名するとの要望をお伝えました。

I have no right to the translated document. Even if their demand has any legitimacy (I can think of none), I prefer to remain anonymous. I am not revealing the contents of the work here. Simply put, I want no association with them.

Until this signature talk comes up, they accepted my translation as is. If necessary, I filled some omitted words. And the payment came without any trouble.
Unfortunately no fixed date, they said they'd pay as soon as they checked the translation. Last time I asked they said their checker was away. In the past they asked me to do checking, and I declined. Still they tried to press. I refused. Too much trouble.

[Edited at 2017-06-18 17:48 GMT]
Collapse

north
north
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
payment came, but their check is not done Jun 28, 2017

Thank you for your concern. They paid. However, it seems they are still checking those files.
They asked for a image of the receipt sent, again asking for the signature. I created the ducument with watermark, scanned, changed into a pdf file and sent. Very strange practice. No other client ever asked me any receipt. I feel very uneasy about the whole thing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

不審な要求、そして未払い

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »