Thread poster: piotrsut
piotrsut
piotrsut  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2017

Hello everyone,

As those working with CBG will know, the company in question is a nice, reputable translation firm with its own translation tools, a friendly approach to translators, and not-so-friendly invoicing system, where the translator has to extract lots of information from his or her numerous orders. In my case, it used to take ages each month.

I have, therefore, developed a little program that is based on the Google Apps (and Gmail) scripting interface, which c
... See more
Hello everyone,

As those working with CBG will know, the company in question is a nice, reputable translation firm with its own translation tools, a friendly approach to translators, and not-so-friendly invoicing system, where the translator has to extract lots of information from his or her numerous orders. In my case, it used to take ages each month.

I have, therefore, developed a little program that is based on the Google Apps (and Gmail) scripting interface, which cherry-picks your completed orders from your correspondence with CBG and summarises all the information from the orders into a neat little (or big) invoice.

The program contains a necessary minimum of functionality, but it does remember your previous invoice and prepares the next invoice from where the last one ended, so you don't even have to worry about the invoicing period. The second time you use it, all you do is open the spreadsheet, press "Prepare invoice" and you get a print-ready invoice following the previous one.

For TM editing jobs it requires you to provide the translation time in your respective e-mail responses to CBG, e.g. "Translation took 1 h 30 min to complete" or "1,5 hours". It is crucial that "h" must be separated from the number, so that the program knows where to look.

The script does not process Oryx orders at this point (I haven't had any of those recently), and it does not do some things it could but I don't need it to. Overall, it is a very rough beta or pre-beta, but I don't know if it makes sense to polish it (it is a bit Polished, but that's another matter). It does not contain much help, so please contact me directly if you are interested and unsure what to do.

The program only works for gmail accounts. I you would like a program for another address, where you have to collect the SO files to be invoiced yourself, contact me - the original version was written in C#, I might provide you with that too.

So, here is the link. Please make sure to give let me know you are interested in trying it. Oh, and please copy the shared file to your own Google Drive - I have made the public copy editable because it doesn't seem to work otherwise, but I wouldn't be happy to see people messing with it. I'll have to give the access right thing a closer look.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vC3hm3LTyrcWPIaPSPG7ZFyD8NJoZ8N0nHVwpTr9qQc/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing for translators working with CBG International

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »